Wednesday, November 5, 2008

As if a wreck wasn't enough!

Well, if you haven't heard, there has been and outbreak of fifths disease at my school and even in the classes on my team. I have 2 kids with it and the other 2 teachers on my team each have 1 so far. Fifths disease is a virus that cannot be recognized until a rash appears on the cheeks which has given this disease a nickname of "slapped cheek syndrome" due to the red cheeks looking like they have been slapped. However, once the rash appears, it is no longer contagious. This virus really doesnt have any harm unless, of course your pregnant! Which me and one of my teammates both are. So, I went on Monday to get a blood test done to see if I have the antibody or not or if I caught the disease. If I did I can pass it on to my baby but the statistics I read online look good. Most women that got it while pregnant did not pass it on and of those who did, most of them had no complications or problems with their children. I will get the results on Monday and keep you posted but geez...does it ever end? I may not have morning sickness or other pregnancy symptoms but man, I think I'm paying in other ways.=)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Thats terrible. G had that when he was real little. It was horrible, his poor face really looked like he had been slapped and had a fever. I hope that you have not and do not catch it. I would Spray everything with Lysol in your class.